SMITH AND WESSON'S 38-44 HEAVY DUTY

Your Subtitle text
POST WAR TRANSITION HEAVY DUTY

Smith & Wesson hand guns manufactured after WWII were called Transition guns because they displayed characteristics of pre war guns.  As time progressed, these parts were replaced with updated versions.  The characteristics of Transition guns were pre war frame with single line address on the right side; pre war barrels with address and patent information marked on top and large ejector rod knob cut out; ejector rod with large knob; pre war hammer and trigger without patent information stamped on the rear; long action; and updated grips.  These characteristics were phased out over time. 

The first gun pictured was shipped from the factory on July 11, 1946 to Dicator & Hopkins Co., Boston, Massachusetts.  It was shipped with a 4 inch barrel, blue finish and checkered walnut magna grips.

The second gun pictured was shipped from the factory on July 24, 1946 to Hoffman Hardware Co., Los Angeles, California.  It was shipped with a 5 inch barrel, blue finish and checkered walnut magna grips.












The third gun pictured is a rarely seen 6.5 inch barrel transition Heavy Duty that is new in the box.  It was shipped from the factory on July 19, 1946 and shipped to Baker, Hamilton & Pacific Co., San Francisco, California.  It was shipped with a 6.5 ich barrel, blue finish and checkered walnut magna grips.







The last Heavy Duty pictured was shipped from the factory on July 18, 1949 to Gene Buris, Blackwell, Oklahoma.  It was shipped with a 4 inch barrel, nickel finish and checkered walnut magna grips.  Transition Heavy Duty pistols in nickel finish are rarely seen as it seems that the factory was focusing on blue finished guns.
Website Builder